The cold snap may not have “snapped,” but all that winter chill hasn’t prevented Mashable from churning out another set of social media tools and resources.
Have a read through resources below for a perspective on Wikipedia’s short life and it’s prospective future, or how videos games are helping social good. Tech & Mobile has some tips for Ruby and some odd Apple patents. Business offers up some case studies and how marketers can optimize crowdsourcing.
Looking for even more social media resources? This guide appears every weekend, and you can check out all the lists-gone-by here any time.
- Why the Future of Online Video Is in Serious Trouble [OP-ED]
Google is preparing for war with Apple and Microsoft over the future of web video, and the rest of us are getting caught in the crossfire.
- Wikipedia Celebrates 10 Years, But Will It Survive Another Decade?
It’s hard to imagine a world without Wikipedia, but as the organization looks back on 10 years of growth, it will encounter challenges ahead.
- Top 10 Food Shots From Foodspotting’s 1st Year [PICS]
It’s the first birthday of Foodspotting, an iPhone photo app that concentrates on pictures of the foods available at restaurants, rather than the restaurants themselves.
- 3 Ways to Design Your Own Clothes Online
Here are three ways to get started in fashion design from the comfort of your own computer.
- 33 More Entertaining 404 Error Pages
Getting a 404 error page is usually the pits, unless it adds a little fun to the experience. These funny error pages were submitted by Mashable readers.
- 5 Facebook Giving Campaign Success Stories
Most non-profits that successfully use social media see it as a tool to engage rather than make transactions. These five successful fundraising campaigns found a way to do both.
- Why Video Games Are Scoring Big for Social Good
Games are being used in creative ways in both education and the non-profit sector. Here’s a look at some success stories.
- 10 Years of Wikipedia [INFOGRAPHIC]
Wikipedia is celebrating its tenth anniversary with a video (narrated by founder and CEO Jimmy Wales) and an infographic showcasing the organization’s major milestones over the years.
- HOW TO: Beat Writer’s Block Online
We’ve pulled together some top ideas, tools and services for beating writer’s block in an online environment, so you can break through that barrier without leaving your desk.
- HOW TO: Get the Most From Crowdsourced Design Competitions
Crowdsourcing a logo can be a great deal, but you may not always get what you bargained for. These six steps can help you get the most bang for your buck.
- 8 Fun Twitter Tools for Language Lovers
Despite the many photo and video tools, Twitter is all about language. Check out these eight great wordie web apps that will help you get more out of the micro-blogging service.
- 6 Valuable Social Networks for Parents
These six sites are active places where parents can connect for advice, support, and entertainment.
- The World Before the Internet [COMIC]
There are only a handful left who remember.
- Interactive Infographic Visualizes Twitter Ecosystem
Digital analyst Brian Solis and data visualization powerhouse JESS3 have once again teamed up to release an infographic entitled “The Twitterverse.”
Tech & Mobile
- 10 Boredom-Busting USB Desk Toys
Thanks to the wonders of USB gadgetry, you can make your cubicle the cool place to hang at the office.
- Comparison: Verizon iPhone 4 & Two Hot New Android Smartphones [INFOGRAPHIC]
Thinking of picking up one of those new Verizon iPhones? Take a look at this infographic first.
- HANDS ON: Portable Speaker Creates Big Sound on Any Flat Surface (UPDATED) [PICS & VIDEO]
This pocket-sized rechargeable speaker attempts audio alchemy, trying to create a big sound with a package about the size of a deck of cards. Does it work?
- Top 5 Tips for Creating Impressive Video Resumes
In today’s competitive job market the right video resume can make you stand out from the crowd. The wrong one can make you a laughingstock. Here are five tips for success.
- 10 Intriguing Apple Patents to Get Excited About
We’ve taken a look at some of Apple’s recent patent applications to see what exciting developments might be in store for the future.
- How Thousands of Volunteer Filmmakers Captured “One Day On Earth”
The “One Day On Earth” project is one step closer to completion with the launch of its video archive, featuring thousands of videos shot by people around the world on October 10, 2010.
- Learning Ruby: Expert Advice for Intermediate Developers
If you’ve been hacking away in Ruby for a while and want to take your skills to the next level, our panel of Ruby experts has a few words of advice for you.
- How the War on Piracy Will Change in 2011
The shift to new forms of online piracy has necessitated a redrawing of content owners’ battle plans. Here’s a look at the likeliest new fronts in the war on piracy in 2011.
- How Professional Foodies Are Using Tech to Transform the Restaurant Business
These days there are many helpful tools to help manage a restaurant. So how do people in the food industry use technology to better organize their businesses?
- Case Study: How Google Sells Its Free Products
Google has done a great job with its latest round of marketing campaigns by applying some very basic principles in some very creative ways. Here’s a look at what Google did right and what it could do better.
- Why Webcasts Are Perfect for Tapping Into Emerging Markets
Webcasting is relatively new in emerging markets, and has proven to be extremely popular. Here are some ways to leverage the inexpensive medium to generate global leads.
- HOW TO: Build a Social Media Education Program for Your Company
We spoke with representatives at Dell, Intel and Constant Contact to discuss how to build a successful social media training program.
- Why Marketers Should Invest in Crowdsourced Research
Crowdsourced research can be an inexpensive and insightful way to prep your online marketing strategy.
- Case Study: 5 Factors Behind One Startup’s Rapid Growth
Bizzy hit 100,000 favorites in just 10 weeks since its relaunch. We took a look at the strategies that have enabled the startup to get this far.
- HOW TO: Stay Competitive in a World of Online Price Transparency
These days, consumers have an endless supply of online tools to compare prices. Here are a few tips for staying competitive in a transparent marketplace.
- HOW TO: Optimize E-mail Marketing for Gmail’s Priority Inbox
Gmail Priority Inbox predicts which e-mails a user will find important, which usually excludes marketing communications. Here are some tips for getting your messages through.
- How App-Like Design Can Turn Your Site Visitors Into Customers
Apps are all about action, and they can teach us a lot when it comes to keeping visitors engaged with a website. Check out these app-centric usability tips for better design.
- Why Group Buying Is Leaving Local Businesses Behind
The recent deals offered by group buying sites on behalf of Amazon and The Gap may indicate a shift from local commerce to big brands. What are the implications of this move?
- 5 Masterminds Redefining Social Media Marketing
Here are five masterminds that are redefining how businesses perceive, create, implement and analyze social media marketing programs.
Image courtesy of Webtreats